Not only should you keep your lawn watered during the spring and summer months, but you should also keep it mowed. Mowing every 10 days is best for St Augustine type of lawns.
Please mow yourself, contract a local neighborhood lawn boy, or hire a lawn service for infrequent or scheduled mowings.
Please consider Lawn-Mat Lawn Care Services a schedule your next mowing and getting on a 10 day mow schedule.
Keeping your lawn healthy and well groomed
Lawn mowing, although often overlooked, greatly effects your lawns appearance and general health.
- Don’t cut your grass too short, particular for cool season grasses. Higher heights usually provide for a deeper root system, looks better, and is less likely to have weeds invading, particularly crabgrass.
- Don’t remove any more than one third of the grass leaf at any one cutting. If circumstances arise that a lawn gets too tall and you just have to lop off a bunch to get caught up, bite the bullet and break it down into several mowings to get caught up with 3 or so days between cuttings.
- Try to avoid mowing when the grass is wet.
- When mowing only a third with each cutting, you can safely leave clippings that will quickly decompose and add nutrients back into the soil. Contrary to popular opinion, grass clippings do not add to thatch buildup. Grass blades are made up of about 75% water.
- Mow your lawn in a different direction with each mowing, especially with lawns of shorter grass types. Altering the direction ensures a more even cut since grass blades will grow more erect and less likely to develop into a set pattern.
I live in Austin the capital of Texas and the self proclaimed “Music Capital of the World” with my lovely wife Jenny and our two beautiful children: our son Garrett, and our daughter Grace. I live in Austin the capital of Texas and the self proclaimed “Music Capital of the World” with my lovely wife Jenny and our two beautiful children: our son Garrett, and our daughter Grace. We enjoy being together as a family and with other family in the area. We like to try new food and go to our favorite restaurants. We enjoy travel and try to go to an exciting new place every year, as well as visiting existing favorite locations. I also enjoy pursuing passions such as photography. My wife and I love music and listen to Austin musicians and touring bands as much as we are able to now with the little ones. Volunteer work for SXSW and Old Settlers Music Festival. I operate a consulting business, doing freelance business as Matthew Comer and syphonsoft Web Hosting. I have several projects and long-term clients. I perform consulting to the State of Texas as a Catalog Information Systems Vendor (CISV) and can be found on the Centralized Master Bidders List (CMBL) Vendor ID: 1205325509200. I am a business man and aspiring entrepreneur at heart. I operate several small businesses, Freeman Properties Property Management Company as well as other businesses listed on this site. I am currently employed as a contractor with Titan Solutions providing consulting for IBM. I work on a great team in the PartnerWorld Business Partner portal as a part of the IBM Global Technology Services (GTS) with the IBM Global Channel Enablement (CE) division. I started my seventh consecutive year-long contract in December of 2010. I am doing some amazing work on this team. I had built a system in which editors on the team can create and maintain HTML pages using an XML/XSL integrated WebSphere system. This allows the users to create pages much more easily. I enjoy the work, this is the best work of my career. This system is being sunset and we are migrating our systems to various internal CMS systems. I have taken on a new role of Content Manager for my growing team of India resources. I assign tasks and manage schedules on a daily basis. I am not looking for further employment at this point, but I am always open to hearing about other opportunities. If you are an employer or headhunter and know of a great working remotely employment opportunity that may be a really good fit that closely matches my skill-set, then please view my résumé. However, know that I am not actively looking for new employment, nor would I likely accept other employment at this time. If you are interested in hiring me as an independent consultant, contractor, web developer/designer to develop your website; or to redevelop and rethink your website, as my specialty is redeveloping and maintaining existing sites, then please contact me. Read more from this author